Balkan Cultural Center (BCC) was established in 2006 by Ersi Danou and Angeliki Giannakopoulos for the purpose of promoting film works from Greece and Cyprus, developing film projects from the Balkans and the Mediterranean Basin as well as increasing awareness about Greek culture in Los Angeles and beyond. Since its inception, BCC has operated as (dba) Los Angeles Greek Film Festival (LAGFF) and since 2023, it added (dba) Global Greek Film Initiative (GGFI).
Los Angeles Greek Film Festival/LAGFF’s mission is to:
- Raise awareness of the modern Greek culture through the art of film on the local, national and international levels, while drawing upon the inexhaustible wealth of the Hellenic heritage.
- Offer Greek, Cypriot and other international filmmakers and media artists the opportunity to screen their works in Los Angeles and online through a virtual platform.
- Offer Greek, Cypriot and other international filmmakers and media artists the opportunity to network with each other and American creative professionals and create a global cultural community.
- Develop international film projects of artistic value, encourage and facilitate international co-productions through its screenplay lab Discovery Days.
- Provide a stimulating cultural environment in which local and international audiences can get exposed to new creative works of international filmmakers and media artists.
- Nurture cross-cultural communication and collaboration.
- Provide one-of-a-kind educational and artistically inspiring cultural experiences – such as retrospective screenings, lectures, panel discussions, presentations, live Q&A, live performances, and more.
- Contribute to the development of the values of diversity, equity and inclusion through daring and inspirational programming.
In addition to the above, Global Greek Film Initiative/GGFI’s mission is to:
- Establish an array of new annual year-round programs that break geographical barriers and build cultural bridges throughout the Hellenic Diaspora.
- Support the burgeoning Greek film industry by providing opportunities for collaboration and exchange of knowledge and ideas.
- Embody diversity, innovation and engagement through art and culture within the Hellenic Diaspora in USA and the world.
- Nurture and develop the values and knowledge of the Hellenic heritage while also embracing creative and innovative expressions.