George Manias has operated a shoe shine shop for 76 years, since escaping the Nazi occupation of Crete at the age of 14. Today, at 91, he is haunted by the loss of his sister Angela as he struggles to decide whether to retire, and whether to visit Crete again without Angela by his side.
- 2023, Sebastopol Documentary Film Festival
- 2023, Capital City Film Festival
- 2023, Julien Dubuque International Film Festival
- 2022, St Louis International Film Festival
- 2022, Kalamata International Short Film Festival
George Manias, Emanuel Manias
Jon Michael Ryan, Matt Richmond
About the director
Early jobs as a janitor, bartender, and landscaper inform Matt Richmond’s blue-collar approach as a director and writer. Since then, he’s worked as a reporter, copywriter, independent publisher, and producer for shows on CBS, Fox, MTV, and more. He has directed two award-winning feature documentaries: Gemutlichkeit, about the closing of a beloved family restaurant, and Never Had a Bad Day, about an engineer working in Alaska’s wilderness.